Thursday, October 11, 2012

Ranting and Raving

So I'm not the type to rant and spill my guts on the internet (My mom usually does that :))
But something just really "got my panties in a bunch"
I went online to look at my grades because you can do that because of the cool/super annoying thing that BYUI does.
I have pretty good grades if I may say so myself (not including math, which I've never been amazing at). I still have 100% in 3 of my classes and A's in 2 of the others.
The only exceptions are Math and my favorite class, Humanities. I'm not being sarcastic or anything. I really do love that class. It's the one that's like AP European History (which I loved in HS) but with music more incorporated.
In that class, my teacher hasn't had any assignments until this last week when he assigned an essay. I wasn't a hard essay. We just had to compare the story of Orpheus to an opera that was created based on the story.
When my teacher assigned that, on I-Learn (where the grades and assignments are posted) it said that all the kids in the class had 0% because no one had turned in the assignment.
I turned in the assignment online just like we were told to. But because I wasn't using Microsoft Word to make it, the program I was using saved the file in some weird format.
I sent it to my mom before turning it in to have her edit it and I tried to save it in a different format to get it to her. It worked out just fine. She got the essay and we fixed it all up.
I turned it in on Friday. I made the deadline and I thought everything was fine.

Today when I checked my turned in assignments that needed to be graded I saw the essay that I had turned in. Next to it was a big fat 0.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

I emailed my prof and asked him if his TA hadn't been able to open it or what was going on. Hopefully he'll get back to me soon... Ugh I'm just so frustrated right now. I wish that I could have just printed it off and turned it in like that. That would have been so much easier.
So anyways. Done with the freaking out. I'll update this when I get a reply... stupid stupid stupid...
-Q

2 comments:

  1. Ugh! Frustrating! You can get a copy of Word for a very reasonable price as a student. Search it out online. Let me know what you find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or you can even use something free like OpenOffice which can save in Word format, but really they should accept PDF too. Almost every program can save to that, and almost every computer can read it.

    So frustrating, though, hope it works out ok in the end, but yanno, it's true that sometimes at school and work there are silly rules that some people will stick to and penalize you for them even when the situation doesn't seem like it's the right thing. Hope that's not the case here, though.

    ReplyDelete