Sunday, February 14, 2016

Missionary work is the best

This week, in my New Testament class, we read Matthew 16-18, Mark 9, Luke 9, and John 7-10. In our reading, the Savior gives the 12 apostles the authority (priesthood) so that they can heal the sick and preach the gospel to everyone. In Luke 9, it says, "Then he called his twelve disciples together, and gave them power and authority over all devils, and to cure diseases. And he sent them to preach the kingdom of God, and to heal the sick." (verses 1-2). This stuck out to me as very important because missionary work is the way that our church grows. We have members who try to share the gospel using social media and other ways and we have people who actually sign up and serve missions. They pay money each month to go to a new place for 1.5-2 years to share the gospel with the people in the area that they are assigned. They are called by a prophet of God and given the authority to share the gospel and to preach to people.
When I was on my mission, I was so grateful for that authority to preach. Being a sister in a foreign country, it was a great comfort to know that I was being watched over and that I had the power to help people change their lives. In the Book of Mormon in Mosiah 15, Abinadi is a prophet who preaching to the priests of king Noah and chastising them a little bit because of the things that they are teaching or not teaching to the people. In a way of encouraging them to change their ways he quotes Isaiah in verses 14, 15, and 17, saying, "And these are they who have published peace, who have brought tidings of good, who have published salvation; and said unto Zion: Thy God reigneth! And O how beautiful upon the mountains were their feet! And again, how beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of those that are still publishing peace!" 
Where I served my mission, I didn't always feel like I had "beautiful feet." Walking up and down mountains and in the dust and through mud and giant puddles, my feet got really dirty. But I knew that I was blessed and as long as I continued to use my authority righteously and used it to bless others lives or to "preach the kingdom of God" I would be okay. This was such a comfort and I'm so grateful for the power that the priesthood gives us.

No comments:

Post a Comment